West Texas summers bring long, hot sunny days. But they also bring hot nights. Even if the temperature dips into the 70s, that’s still too hot for a lot of people to get a good night’s sleep. That’s why it’s important to have a working air conditioner and to make sure it’s set at the right temperature. In this post, we’ll help you find the perfect temperature to ensure a good night’s sleep – while keeping electricity costs down as well.
KEEP IT COOL
If you feel like you don’t get enough quality sleep, there could be several potential issues. Factors in your diet can have an impact, as can your daily routine and even the stresses of daily life. But the wrong temperature in your room can lead to poor sleep as well. Most adults are most comfortable sleeping in a room that’s between 62 and 68 degrees. Our bodies cool down at the end of the day (just like the outside temperature) signaling that it’s time for rest.
Keeping a comfortable temperature and getting lots of rest is good for your overall health and quality of life for a variety of reasons:
- Insomnia: Poor sleep can lead to a vicious cycle: you’re tired during the day, then can’t fall asleep at night. A cooler room at night will help you get to sleep, making it easier to get back in rhythm.
- Melatonin: Your body releases a hormone called melatonin when it’s ready for sleep. Melatonin helps fight heart disease, cancer, and other ailments. A cooler room helps your body produce more melatonin.
- Metabolism: The rate that your body digests food is called metabolism. Metabolism also improves in cooler temperatures. A higher metabolism makes it easier to lose weight – and burn more calories during an active day.
- Diabetes: If you suffer from type 2 diabetes, losing weight could save your life. While metabolism helps burn fat, it also helps you maintain “good fat” that’s important for your health.
- Productivity: A good night’s sleep means plenty of energy for the day. No need to nap during the day if a properly cooled room helps you sleep at night. You’ll fall asleep faster, enjoy deeper sleep, stay asleep longer, and wake up feeling refreshed.
- Stress/Depression: Stress and depression can lead to poor sleep, and poor sleep can lead to stress and depression. Help to avoid it by finding your ideal sleep temperature.
FIND YOUR TEMP
To find your temp, vary the temperature over the course of a few nights and see how well you get rest. You might start out at 67, then move it up or down depending on how well you sleep each night. Eventually, you’ll find your ideal temperature.
WORTH THE CALL
The Bosworth Company offers a variety of HVAC products to help you find that perfect temperature. State-of-the-art thermostats will even let you set the temp on your phone. To make an appointment with one of our experts, go online or call us today at 432-570-5233. It’s Worth the Call. Always.