Have you ever met someone who thought you could put just anything down the garbage disposal? (Or maybe you’re one of them.) Unfortunately, you can’t.
What is ‘Garbage Disposal Safe’?
There are a few things that should obviously not be put down the garbage disposal. Things that are hard, or difficult to chop up (think chicken, turkey, or other sorts of bones). You also should not pour grease down the drain, as it will dry and harden, and clog up your whole sink. Here’s a comprehensive list of foods and other items that should never be put down the drain:
- Kitchen oil, of any kind
- Butter (any kind of dairy can harden and clog up your pipes)
- Bones (turkey, chicken, steak…anything!)
- Tough vegetables (celery is a major enemy of garbage disposals! The strings can stop up the gears in your disposal, and really cause problems.)
- Coffee grounds (it will accumulate and never make it past the disposal.)
- Grease and greasy foods
- Pasta, including rice (it can expand in your pipes and cause problems)
- Non-food items
As noted, various issues can arise if you put the wrong things down your garbage disposal. The unit is simply not meant to handle anything that can be stuffed down the drain.
Here are a few tips that will help:
- Before they even get to the sink, scrape excess food from plates straight into the trash.
- Use a paper towel to wipe thick, greasy foods into the trash. Things like gravy and similar foods can easily clog sinks.
- Boil water and pour it down the sink. It will help loosen up the slime and gunk that found it’s way down the drain.
- Three or four times a year, pour some vinegar down the drain – this is good for routine maintenance.
Need To Call Us?
If you discover the drain is stopped, or your garbage disposal isn’t running like it should, The Bosworth Company is here for you. Give us a call at 432-570-5233 or schedule an appointment online. The Bosworth Company. Worth the Call. Always!