While Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer, it’s still a reason to celebrate. You may decide to pay homage to the workforce with a backyard barbecue, as Labor Day is one of the most popular grilling holidays of the year. As you spend time off of work with your family and friends, here are a few tips to keep your plumbing in good (working) shape. After all, it doesn’t get the day off on Labor Day! Check out our Labor Day plumbing tips.
- Keep the bathroom clutter free. Small bathroom essentials, like Q-tips, cotton balls, or Kleenex, could possibly cause a clog if dropped into the toilet. It’s smart to keep your bathroom clutter free, especially with people going in and out of the bathroom.
- Know where your toilet shut off valve is. If your toilet does overflow, you need to know where your toilet shut off valve is. This emergency option is typically located under the toilet tank.
- Watch what your put down your disposal. Starchy, stringy and fibrous foods can clog the drain or damage the disposal blades. So as you might guess, many BBQ foods are NOT safe to put down your garbage disposal. Keep macaroni salads, corn on the cob, and BBQ meats out of the disposal.
- Avoid pouring grease, oil, and fat down the drain. These oils can solidify to the walls of the drain, restricting water flow. Instead, let fats that solidify do so. Once solid, pitch them in your regular garbage. If you need grease to harden up, put it in the fridge. For ones that don’t solidify, pour them into a sealable bottle, and throw the whole container away with your regular garbage
- Freshen up your garbage disposal. Once your Labor Day celebrations are done, throw a few citrus peels in your disposal. The peels will clean the blades and freshen up the smell.
Spending time with family and friends on Labor Day is meant to be fun, so don’t let a plumbing problem pulverize your party! If plumbing problems occur, The Bosworth Company is here to help – even on holidays. Just call 432-570-5233!
One more thing! With Labor Day being the unofficial end of summer, that reminds us…are your systems ready for the fall weather ahead? Contact us to find out about our Fall Clean & Check – only $99! Let us check your systems to be sure they’re prepared for cooler temperatures and will keep your home cozy & comfortable!